March 26, 2015

Review: Maybe Someday (Maybe Someday #1) by Colleen Hoover

Publish Date: March 18th, 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Rating: 3.5 / 5
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Purchased the Kindle Edition through Amazon.

Blurb:
At twenty-two years old, Sydney is enjoying a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers that Hunter is cheating on her—and she’s forced to decide what her next move should be.

Soon, Sydney finds herself captivated by her mysterious and attractive neighbor, Ridge. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. They soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one.

A passionate tale of friendship, betrayal, and romance, Maybe Someday will immerse readers in Sydney’s tumultuous world from the very first page.



First Thoughts

Warning: there may be some spoilers ahead because I can't state how and why I feel the way I do about this book without them.

I feel like I'm the only one that didn't absolutely love Maybe Someday. I guess I should explain my reservations: CHEATING. I don't like it. It made for a good introduction-- a**hole boyfriend cheats on girl with her roommate best friend so girl has no choice but to move in with her hot, guitar-playing neighbor. Throw in some drama or hardship that they have to work through along with a happily ever after and I could have been sold with Colleen Hoover's beautiful writing. Just don't expect me to condone the main characters' choices when the drama is falling in love with each other and CHEATING on the guitar player's DYING girlfriend. No.


What I Enjoyed

Colleen Hoover's writing, of course! It's just so gut-wrenching and easy to read with specific words or sentences that just crush your heart. While I couldn't support Sydney and Ridge's budding romance while Ridge was still dating Maggie, CoHo's beautiful writing almost made me want to.

The deaf characters. How unique is this? Colleen Hoover is amazing at writing different characters with different backgrounds and histories, I never feel like I'm reading the same romance over and over.

Ridge and Maggie's love. Sigh. Maybe Someday should have been about Ridge and Maggie's love and how Sydney tried to destroy their love. Lol. I think I would have enjoyed that more!


What Could Have Been Better

Ridge and Sydney. Ridge was not swoon-worthy. Sure he's deaf, he plays the guitar, and he texts/writes/FB messages his feelings almost too perfectly-- but I couldn't connect with him! Don't get me start on Sydney. She cried ALL THE TIME and it was annoying. I hated that she was so upset over getting cheated on and then her and Ridge put themselves in a position where it was OBVIOUS Maggie was going to get cheated on. Not ok.


Memorable Quote

"For her I bend, for you I break."


Recommended For

Colleen Hoover is the queen of young adult contemporary romance, so I'd recommend Maybe Someday to anyone who loves those genres or the author. (:


3.5 asterisks


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment