April 12, 2015

Review: No Regrets (Nova #3) by Jessica Sorensen

Publish Date: April 15th, 2014
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Rating: 2 / 5

I purchased a copy from Amazon.

Blurb:
Today is the first day of Quinton Carter's new life. The toxic guilt of his past left him in pieces-but one girl unexpectedly put him back together. Thanks to Nova Reed, Quinton can finally see the world with clear eyes. She's the reason his heart is still kicking behind the jagged scar on his chest. And he would love to have her in his arms every minute of the day . . . but he's not ready yet.

Playing drums in a band and living with her best friends are just some of the highlights of Nova's life. But the best new development? Talking to Quinton on the phone each night. She wishes she could touch him, kiss him, though she knows he needs time to heal. Yet shocking news is on the way-a reminder of life's dark side-and Nova will need Quinton like he once needed her. Is he strong enough to take the final leap out of his broken past . . . and into Nova's heart?


First Thoughts

I honestly hate to say this, but I didn't enjoy No Regrets. Nova had always kind of irritated me with her save-the-world complex and rambling emo nonsense into her video camera, but Quinton-- he had always captivated me. Watching the good guy he once was spiral out of control via an addiction to meth and heroin killed me. I was thoroughly ecstatic to read No Regrets because it was supposed to be about Quinton's road to recovery. I wanted a glimpse of that good guy again. Unfortunately, Quinton's dark thoughts and inner demons started to gnaw at my nerves and I just couldn't like him anymore.


What I Enjoyed

When Nova and Quinton finally did the deed. It was cute, it was passionate, it was a long time coming. It was the one part of the story that made me feel good, and--trust me--I was desperate to feel something, anything really, besides annoyance!


What Could Have Been Better

The dialogue. Holy cow, it seemed unnatural and awkward!
"It's okay. You can call it payback for me being cheesy earlier, but I think I'm just on emotional overload between this phone chat and our text conversation earlier. You're giving me a high dose of feel-goods and I'm starting to get really nervous about how I'm feeling right now. It's freaking the shit out of me."

Is this a romance, or what? Quinton constantly obsessed over Lexi and refused to take down pictures of her as part of his therapy. Nova repeatedly found ways to insert Landon into the conversation. I'm sorry, but shouldn't you two be moving on and focusing on each other? Is reminding each other that you each had an epic teenage love supposed to help the healing process??


TL;DR

Too long; didn't read. Meh. Nova was always annoying. Quinton became annoying. They kept dwelling on the past. The dialogue was absurd. The sex scene was the only enjoyable one. The ending seemed like "I don't know what to write anymore so let me end it like this." I'm hesitant to continue the series.


2 asterisks



No comments:

Post a Comment